Friday, November 19, 2010

Great Grandma's Molasses Cookies


This is my great grandmas recipe. My mom still has the card she wrote it on. We have traditionally made these on Thanksgiving, in the shape of a turkey. This year I am a little less ambitious and can't really reach the back of the counter so instead of rolling them out I used a cookie scoop and then flattened them with a glass. I have only made one change, she used lard and I use butter. You could use shortening also. Traditions are fun, I want to start more, any ideas?
2 cups sugar
1 cup molasses
1 cup butter
1 t allspice
2 t cinnamon
3 eggs (save one egg white to brush the tops, this keeps them soft)
2 t baking soda dissolved in 3 T water
5-6 cups flour, start with 5 and see how sticky it is
Mix in order given, roll out and cut into shapes. Brush with egg whites and bake at 350 until tops are cracked looking.
Sometimes I burn a tray just to keep as my stash in the freezer to have with tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment