Monday, October 25, 2010

Chili Powder


Chili Powder
I seem to use chili powder a lot. It never seems to have much flavor so I end up using half the bottle to get the flavor I want. I read a few recipes and came up with this one. You could use different chili's and make it as mild or hot as you want. Of course I had to use dried chipotles because I put them in everything lately.
This made it pretty spicy, next time I might use more ancho's and less of the arobols.
5 dried chipotles
2 dried ancho chili's
5 dried arobol chili's
2 T whole cumin seed, I toasted these for a few minutes in a dry pan, just until they smell good
2 T dried oregano
2 T garlic powder, not garlic salt
Blend in blender until powdered. THIS IS IMPORTANT, do NOT remove lid until dust has settled, just leave it alone for a few minutes or you will breathe chili dust in and it can be hot!
Here is an easy crock pot chicken recipe that I use chili powder in.
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
2 cloves garlic chopped or crushed
1 T chili powder, or to taste
1-2 chipotles in adobo sauce, you can also add some of the sauce from the can
salt and pepper to taste
Cook on high for 4 hours or until shreds easily
This recipe is from martha, she adds salsa to it also but we like it just like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment